Beanie Heen canoe races at surf park
The Kohala Coast/Beanie Heen Memorial races for OC-1/OC-2/SUP on short and long courses are at 9 a.m. Saturday at Kawaihae Surf Park. There will be a party and raffle after the races.
For more information, call Mike Akau at 938-4077.
Special Olympics events
Two Special Olympics events are slated for April 6.
- The Law Enforcement Torch Run begins with registration at 7:15 a.m. at First Hawaiian Bank off Palani Road. At 8 a.m., participants will carry the “Flame of Hope” to Hale Halawai then end near the Kona Community Aquatic Center. A fee of $30 includes a commemorative shirt.
- The Big Island Softball Tournament begins at 9 a.m. at Old Kona Airport Park. The tournament is a qualifier for the state competition on Oahu.
For more information, call Denise Lindsey, Special Olympics West Hawaii Area Director, at 345-0433.
Hawaii Youth Rugby leagues
The Pacific Rim Rugby Club is seeking male and female players for its middle and high school leagues.
The practices are 5 to 6:30 p.m. Mondays and Wednesdays at Old Kona Airport Park’s lighted football field.
For more information, call coach John Nuualiitia at 345-7754 or 747-4412.
Wildcats football festivities
The Konawaena Wildcats football team will hold a celebration from 2 to 4 p.m. April 27 at Patz Pies at Paparoni’s in Captain Cook. The buffet is at 2 p.m.; the honors and awards presentations begin at 3.
Tickets, which include the buffet and prize drawings, are $20 in advance and can be purchased from the Konawaena High School athletic department.
A limited number of tickets will be available the day of the event for $25 each.
Summer hoops camp at Konawaena
The 2014 Hawaii Island Hoops College-Prep Basketball Camp will be held June 16 to 20 at Konawaena High School.
The camp, under the direction of Andy Smith, offers skill development for youngsters and introduces them to college-style workouts and training.
Smith will be joined on the teaching staff by college coaches from the junior college, NAIA and NCAA levels.
The camp fee is $350 and includes a jersey and shorts, college coaching and instruction, meals and seminars on academic requirements, financial aid and athletic recruitment.
For more information and registration, go to hawaiiislandhoops.com or email Smith at: Director@hawaiiislandhoops.com.
Keauhou Canoe Club season underway
The Keauhou Canoe Club’s season has begun.
- Boys/girls (under 12): 3:30 to 5 p.m., Mondays, Tuesdays and Thursdays
- Boys/girls (12 and older): 3:30 to 5 p.m., Mondays, Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays
- Women: Novice B, 4 to 5 p.m. Mondays and Wednesdays; Novice A, open, 40s-65-plus, 5 p.m., Mondays and Wednesdays
- Men: Novice B, 4 p.m., Tuesdays and Thursdays; Novice A, open, 40s, 5 p.m.; 50-65-plus, 5 p.m.
For more information, visit keauhoucanoeclub.com.
Kai Opua Canoe Club season underway
The Kai Opua Canoe Club has started its season.
- Girls (12-18): 4 p.m. Mondays and Wednesdays
- Boys (12-18): 4 p.m. Tuesdays and Thursdays
- Novice “Y,” co-ed, and under-12: 3:45 p.m. Tuesdays and Thursdays.
- Women Novice A and B (new paddlers): 4:30 p.m. Mondays and Wednesdays
- Women’s team meeting: 5:30 p.m. today, at the club halau
- Women’s open and age divisions: 5:30 p.m. Mondays and Wednesdays
- Men’s Novice B (new paddlers): 4:30 p.m. Tuesdays and Thursdays
- Men’s open and age divisions: 5:15 p.m. Tuesdays and Thursdays
- Specials, coed under 12: 3:45 p.m. Tuesdays and Thursdays
Practices are held at Kamakahonu Beach near King Kamehameha’s Kona Beach Hotel. All paddlers must know how to swim. New paddlers must have identification; paddlers younger than 18 need their parent or guardian’s signature.
For more information, call Bo Campos at 938-8577.
High school rodeo at Paniolo Park
The Hawaii High School Rodeo at Paniolo Park in Waimea continues the first weekend of April and May. Saturday activities feature keiki and junior divisions; Sunday activities feature high school participants. The state finals junior division is May 9 to 11 and high school division is June 12 to 15.
The competition is free; donations are welcome. Food will be sold, with proceeds to benefit the program.
For more information, con tact DeeDee Bertelmann at 325-5937 or email@example.com.
Gold Coast Little League softball
Gold Coast Little League is accepting registration for girls ages 7 to 16 from Kailua-Kona, Waikoloa, Waimea, Kohala, Honokaa, Paauilo and Laupahoehoe. Sign-ups are held from 6 to 8 p.m. every Friday at Waimea Park. The season fee is $65 per player.
For more information, visit littleleague.org, call Geri at 960-0733 or email questions to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Kona Coast Little League registration
Kona Coast Little League is accepting registrations for Minor (ages 9-10) and Major (11-12) divisions from players who reside in the area from Pottery Terrace to Manuka.
Applicants must provide proof of residency.
For more information, call Hano Grace at 960-2366 or Tasha Terazono at 443-6574.
West Side Hawaii Little League
West Side Hawaii Little League is holding sign-ups for girls and boys ages 10 to 13 at Hooko Park in Waikoloa from 4 to 6 p.m. today.
For more information, contact Karlos Gacayan at 960-0626 or email@example.com.
Kamehameha Schools golf benefit
West Hawaii Ohana, the nonprofit parent association of Kamehameha Schools, will hold its 15th annual Golf Outing on Saturday at Big Island Country Club. Check-in is at 7:30 a.m., shotgun start at 8:30.
The event is open to everyone. The entry fee is $100 per player. Proceeds benefit the scholarship fund for the Kapalama Campus West Hawaii boarders. Lunch and an awards presentation follow the two-person scramble format play.
For more information, call Patricia Clark at 756-1795 or visit westhawaiiatp.com.
Basketball junior high league
The Hawaii County Department of Parks and Recreation will hold an instructional basketball league for children in grades six to eight.
The season starts in April. Games will be played Thursdays and Saturdays.
Registration forms are available at Kekuaokalani Gymnasium.
Referees are needed. For more information, call Diego Padillio or Wes Sermon at 327-3553.
Kealakehe seeking coaches
Kealakehe is looking for cross-country and cheerleading coaches for the fall season.
For more information, contact Kealakehe athletic director Mike Hernandez at 327-4300, ext. 2213, or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Hawaii Cycling Club event
The free 12.7-mile Hapuna Beach Training Time Trial starts at 8 a.m. April 19 at Hapuna Beach and ends at the Mauna Kea resort. Registration is at 7 a.m.
For more information, visit hawaiicyclingclub.com.