WR Hartline reaches deal to remain with Dolphins


MIAMI — Coming off his best season, Brian Hartline wanted to stay put.

The veteran receiver signed a five-year deal Friday for nearly $31 million to remain with the Miami Dolphins, his agent said. The contract includes $12.5 million guaranteed, agent Drew Rosenhaus said.

Quarterback Matt Moore signed a two-year deal to remain as Ryan Tannehill’s backup rather than test free agency and pursue a possible starting job.

Hartline, who also could have become an unrestricted free agent Tuesday, instead decided to remain with the team that drafted him in 2009.

“I believe he could have signed for more in the open market with another team, but he wanted to remain with the Dolphins for less money,” Rosenhaus wrote in a text message to The Associated Press.

Hartline tweeted a photo of himself signing the deal in the Dolphins’ offices.

“Officially put that name on the line,” he tweeted. “Blessed to be a Dolphin for 5 more years. Now it’s time to win some championships.”

Working with rookie Tannehill, Hartline led Miami last year with 74 receptions for 1,083 yards, both career highs, despite missing most of the preseason because of injuries.

However, he caught only one touchdown pass and has career totals of six scores in 183 receptions.

While Hartline is a solid No. 2 target, landing a top receiver for Tannehill remains the Dolphins’ foremost offseason priority, and they’re expected to court free agent Mike Wallace and possibly Greg Jennings. Miami’s wideouts combined for only three touchdown catches in 2012.

Adrian Wilson

let go by Cardinals

TEMPE, Ariz. — The Arizona Cardinals released Adrian Wilson on Friday, bringing an end to the hard-hitting, five-time Pro Bowl strong safety’s 12 seasons with the team.

Wilson, who had been the longest-tenured player on the team, took a pay cut to stay with the Cardinals before last season. But he knew as it was winding down that it would be his final one in the desert, especially when Rashad Johnson took a big chunk of his playing time.

Wilson, one of six NFL players with 25 interceptions and 25 sacks, made the Pro Bowl in 2006 and every year from 2008 through 2011. He had 27 interceptions and 25½ sacks, including eight in 2005, which were the most ever by a defensive back.

The 33-year-old safety played in 181 games with Arizona, fifth-most in team history, and was a team captain five times, including last season.

Friday’s move clears about $3 million in salary cap space.

Panthers release

starting CB Gamble

CHARLOTTE, N.C. — The Panthers released starting cornerback Chris Gamble on Friday in a move that will get them under this year’s NFL salary cap.

By releasing Gamble the Panthers will save $7.9 million under this year’s salary cap.

The former first-round pick who has played his entire career with the Panthers immediately becomes a free agent.

The Panthers selected Gamble with the 28th overall pick in the 2004 draft out of Ohio State.

He played in 123 career regular season games with 117 starts and is the franchise’s leader with 27 career interceptions, including two returned for touchdowns. He has started more games for the Panthers than any cornerback in franchise history.

Gamble missed most of last season with a torn labrum in his shoulder.

Ravens cut guard

Bobbie Williams

OWINGS MILLS, Md. — The Baltimore Ravens have terminated the contract of guard Bobbie Williams, who played in all four playoff games for the Super Bowl champions.

The 36-year-old Williams played 13 regular-season games with Baltimore after signing as a free agent before the 2012 season.