Wednesday | April, 01, 2015
About Us | Contact | Subscribe

Victorino, Red Sox agree to 3-year, $39 million deal

NASHVILLE, Tenn. — Free-agent outfielder Shane Victorino and the Red Sox agreed Tuesday to a $39 million, three-year contract, Boston’s second big addition during the winter meetings.

Nicknamed The Flyin’ Hawaiian, Victorino tweeted that he planned to spend the day on Maui on a snorkeling trip aboard the Alii Nui catamaran.

“Just agreed to join the Boston (at)RedSox in the middle of paradise,” he tweeted. “(hash)BLESSED!!! Can’t wait to get to Boston!”

Victorino’s deal is subject to a physical, as is the $39 million, three-year contract the Red Sox agreed to Monday with Mike Napoli.

Victorino hit a combined .255 with 11 home runs and 55 RBIs last season for Philadelphia and the Los Angeles Dodgers. He also stole a career-high 39 bases. The Dodgers obtained Victorino in a late July trade with the Phillies.

A two-time All-Star and three-time Gold Glove winner, Victorino turned 32 on Friday. He also had been pursued by the Cleveland Indians.

Victorino played mostly center field for the Phillies and shifted to left with the Dodgers. He likely would play right field for the Red Sox but could shift to center if Jacoby Ellsbury is traded or leaves as a free agent after next season.

“It’s probably the toughest right field in baseball to play, just in terms of the space to cover,” new Boston manager John Farrell said earlier in the day. “So that range comes into play. And yet you try to combine the best range available along with offensive production. It might not be your prototypical right fielder where it’s a power bat because we do value the defense in that area. That’s not to exclude anyone, but defense takes a high priority, in that position at Fenway particularly.”

Boston finished last in the AL East and is trying to boost its offense. Napoli, an All-Star catcher with Texas this year, appears likely to shift his primary position.

“We see him as a first baseman primarily, but with the ability to catch,” Farrell said. “We would have him catch in spring training early on, but then certainly make sure that we’ve got enough reps at first base for not only him to feel comfortable there, but for us as well.”

Rangers agree

to two-year

contract with Soria

NASHVILLE, Tenn. — Injured closer Joakim Soria and the Texas Rangers have reached an agreement on an $8 million, two-year contract.

The deal announced Tuesday at baseball’s winter meetings includes a team option for 2015.

Soria, a two-time All-Star with Kansas City, is recovering from elbow ligament-replacement surgery on April 3. The 28-year-old right-hander also had the ligament replaced in 2003.

The Rangers have been busy at the Opryland Hotel complex this week, re-signing catcher Geovany Soto to a $2.75 million, one-year contract Monday and possibly working toward retaining free agent outfielder Josh Hamilton.

AP source: RHP Haren,

Nationals near deal

NASHVILLE, Tenn. — Free agent pitcher Dan Haren and the Washington Nationals are close to completing a one-year deal for $13 million, a person familiar with the talks told The Associated Press.

The person spoke Tuesday at the baseball winter meetings under condition of anonymity because no deal was announced.

Washington had the best record in the majors last season. The NL East champions already have a formidable rotation led by Gio Gonzalez and Stephen Strasburg, and could boost it by adding Haren, an All-Star from 2007-09.

“I’ve got some young guys that act like veterans, and they pitched like veterans last year for me, and a veteran like Dan Haren is just going to make things even better,” Nationals manager Davey Johnson said. “I think he’s a great addition. I’ve seen him pitch a lot over the years, intense competitor, and hopefully we’ll get that done.”

Haren was 12-13 with a 4.33 ERA in 30 starts and 176 2/3 innings for the Los Angeles Angels. The Angels nearly traded the 32-year-old righty to the Chicago Cubs for reliever Carlos Marmol after the season, then declined their $15.5 million option on him for next season and paid a $3.5 million buyout.

Johnson said he’s fully familiar with Haren and says he might do even better in the NL.

“He pitched a lot of innings, and he had a decent year for Anaheim,” Johnson said. “Also, the American League is a little bit tougher with an extra DH in there. I like his stuff. I like his competitiveness.”

Haren has made at least 30 starts in eight straight years. Known for his durability, he went on the disabled list for the first time in his career last season because of a back issue.

Johnson also predicted free-agent first baseman Adam LaRoche will re-sign with the Nationals.

“Adam LaRoche is going to come back,” the manager said. “I mean, if I have to go to Kansas and take him and all his cattle to Florida, I will.”

Washington brought postseason baseball to the capital for the first time since 1933. After coming within a strike of advancing to the NL championship series on five different pitches, the Nationals lost to St. Louis in Game 5 of the NL division series.

Eric Hinske, D’backs

agree to 1-year deal

NASHVILLE, Tenn. — Free agent Eric Hinske agreed Tuesday to a one-year contract with the Arizona Diamondbacks.

While the deal was not announced, Diamondbacks manager Kirk Gibson discussed it at the winter meetings.

A veteran of 11 major league seasons, Hinske spent the last three years with the Atlanta Braves. He hit .197 with two homers and 13 RBIs in 132 at-bats this year, seeing time at first base, left field and right field.

Wright, Mets

finalize $138 million,

8-year deal

NASHVILLE, Tenn. — David Wright and the New York Mets finalized a $138 million, eight-year contract Tuesday, the largest deal in the team’s history.

The contract was agreed to last week, subject to a physical, and the team said Wright planned to discuss it today at the winter meetings.

Wright’s new deal replaces the $16 million salary he was to have earned under a 2013 option in his previous contract. The new deal contains deferred money.

Without the agreement, Wright could have become a free agent after the 2013 season. New York also is trying to reach a new deal with NL Cy Young Award winner R.A. Dickey, who is signed for $5.25 million next year and then can become a free agent.