Thursday | July 28, 2016
About Us | Contact | Subscribe


Chicken causes power outage at Maui airport

WAILUKU, Maui — A power outage at an airport on Maui was caused by a chicken.

That’s right. A chicken.

The chicken got into a Maui Electric Co. transformer in the rental car area at Kahului Airport on Tuesday, Maui Electric company spokeswoman Kaui Awai-Dickson said. It caused a power outage that began at 2:07 p.m. that left some passengers having to disembark their planes the old-fashioned way — by mobile stairway.

Power was restored about a half-hour later. The outage affected the airport and nearby businesses, including the rental car companies, a hotel and department store. The airport tower and air traffic were not affected, according to The Maui News.

After about a half hour, customers were restored with power with the exception of the rental car companies located just outside the airport. All power was restored at 3:25 p.m.

During the outage, security screenings were performed manually and some electronic doors had to be manned by Transportation Security Administration officials, said Maui District airport manager Marvin Moniz.

He said the outage caused some flight delays of no more than 15 minutes.

Navy identifies missing Navy SEAL

HONOLULU — Military officials have identified the Navy SEAL who went missing last week off Oahu during an open ocean training swim.

The Navy has identified the missing SEAL as 33-year-old Matthew John Leathers of Woodland, Calif. He was training off Kaena Point when he became separated from his unit.

The Coast Guard, Honolulu lifeguards and firefighters, along with Navy and Marine Corps crews, searched over 24,000 square miles using aircraft, cutters and small boats, but found no sign of Leathers. The search was suspended Sunday.

Leathers enlisted in the Navy on Aug. 11, 1998 and reported to SEAL Delivery Vehicle Team One at Pearl Harbor on Aug. 24, 2004.

City Council committee approves tent bill

HONOLULU — A City Council committee has given initial approval to a bill that would make it harder for people to set up tents on Oahu sidewalks.

The Honolulu Star-Advertiser says the Public Safety and Economic Development Committee approved the measure on Tuesday. It now goes to the full City Council for a public hearing.

Under a city ordinance, city officials tag and then wait 24 hours before removing tents and other personal items from city sidewalks. The bill under consideration would do away with the 24-hour notice. Property owners would then have 30 days to retrieve their items for a fee, though the fee could be waived if contested successfully.

A spokesman for the mayor says city employees on Tuesday tagged items left on sidewalks in more than a dozen locations.