SBA announces area business award winners
The U.S. Small Business Administration annually honors outstanding small-business owners, entrepreneurs and advocates who best illustrate the important contributions of small businesses to a vibrant local economy and thriving community.
The local winners:
- John and Nancy Edney of Tropical Dreams Ice Cream Co. in Waimea were named Hawaii County’s Small-business People of the Year.
- Allan Ikawa of Hilo-based Big Island Candies will get the Entrepreneurial Success Award for the state.
- Colin Nakagawa of the 90-year-old Seaside Restaurant in Hilo is recipient of the Hawaii County Family Owned Small Business Award.
- Greg Colden of Kona Natural Soap Co. in Keauhou is getting the Hawaii County Small Business Exporter Award.
- William Bierman, president of Omega Computers in Keauhou, was named Hawaii County’s Young Entrepreneur of the Year.
- Kari Waldhus of The Entrepreneur’s Source is Hawaii County’s Minority Small Business Champion.
- Laura Kinoshita of Kinoshita Communications is Hawaii County’s Women in Business Champion.
- Joan and Warren Chong, partners in Chong Enterprises, were named Hawaii County’s Home-based Business Champions.
All will be honored at the 26th annual statewide SBA small business awards luncheon Feb. 28 at the Hilton Hawaiian Village on Oahu.
To attend this event or for more information about the awards, call the SBA Hawaii District Office at 541-2990.