Tuesday | July 26, 2016
About Us | Contact | Subscribe

Power strip blamed for Waimea house fire

Power strip like cause of Waimea house fire

Hawaii Fire Department officials say a power strip may have caused a fire Saturday evening at a Waimea home.

Fire crews responded to the two-story home on Laelae Way just before 7 p.m. Saturday. Upon arrival, they saw smoke coming from the windows. Using portable equipment, firefighters extinguished the fire, which was located in the bathroom, within about 10 minutes.

Fire inspectors are still investigating the fire and its cause, but firefighters said a possible origin was a power strip plugged into an appliance next to the sink.

No one was at home at the time, but the occupants were advised of the fire. The home is insured and the damage was estimated at $10,000, according to the department.