Sunday | December 10, 2017
About Us | Contact | Subscribe

Man, 32, fatally shot Saturday night in Hilo

HILO — A 32-year-old man was fatally shot Saturday night along Bayfront Highway in Hilo following a dispute with his wife, police said.

Police found Faafetai Fiu of Hilo unresponsive at 8:51 p.m. on the makai side of the road near the Mo‘oheau Bandstand after receiving reports of gunshots in the area, said Lt. Greg Esteban.

Fiu, who had multiple gunshot wounds, was pronounced dead after arriving at Hilo Medical Center.

Esteban said Fiu was walking in the area following “what appeared to be a dispute with his spouse” but no suspects or motives have been identified.

Police are investigating the shooting as second-degree murder.

Esteban said on Sunday that police are considering all possibilities, including a random attack.

No arrests had been made as of Sunday afternoon.

Esteban said Fiu’s wife was in the area when the shooting occurred and has been interviewed.

“She is not a suspect at this time,” he said.

Police closed the highway between Waianuenue Avenue and Pauahi Street following the shooting while detectives and technicians worked to preserve evidence during intermittent rain showers. Also hampering the evidence collection efforts was the darkness, and officers used flashlights to illuminate the scene.

The short stretch of pavement has no streetlights.

The road was reopened at 11:20 a.m. Sunday.

Esteban said evidence was collected at the scene but declined to elaborate due to the ongoing investigation.

At the scene at about 10:30 p.m. Saturday was a woman in a white minivan on the mauka side of the road who cried and shouted occasional obscenities.

“Are you kidding me?” the woman shouted through her tears. “Get out of here, you a———s!” It was not apparent to whom the woman was referring.

A baby or young child could also be heard crying from the minivan.

Yellow police barricade tape cordoned off a large portion of Mo‘oheau Park on the Puna side of the bandstand and bus terminal. The cyclone fence between the park and the highway also provided a natural barrier for police at the scene.

According to Tribune-Herald records, Fiu had been arrested and charged at least four times this year: in June for violating a protective order; on Aug. 16 for harassment; in early October for domestic abuse, DUI, driving after license suspended and for no child restraint in vehicle and later in October for assault.

On Sept. 20, Fiu was sentenced to five years probation and a year in jail for first-degree terroristic threatening and promoting a dangerous drug. In exchange for his guilty plea, prosecutors dropped domestic abuse and drug paraphernalia charges. Hilo Circuit Judge Glenn Hara allowed Fui to remain free provided he complied with the terms and conditions of his probation.

Fiu could have received a 10-year prison term on the terroristic threatening charge.

Fiu’s attorney, Deputy Public Defender Melody Parker, noted in open court that Fiu was homeless at the time.

An autopsy is scheduled for Wednesday morning.

Police ask that anyone with information or who may have witnessed this incident contact Detective Robert Almeida at 961-2386 or Detective Norbert Serrao at 961-2383. Those who prefer anonymity may call Crime Stoppers at 961-8300.