Sunday | November 29, 2015
About Us | Contact | Subscribe

Power strip blamed for Waimea fire

Hawaii County Fire Department officials say a power strip may have caused a fire at a Waimea home.

Fire crews responded to the two-story home on Laelae Way just before 7 p.m. Saturday. Upon arrival, they saw heavy smoke coming from the windows. Using portable equipment, firefighters quickly controlled and extinguished the fire, found in the bathroom. They did so in about 10 minutes.

Fire inspectors are still investigating the fire and its cause, but firefighters said a possible origin was power strip plugged into an appliance next to the sink.

The house was opened up to allow for natural ventilation and the scene later secured. Firefighters also used a thermal imager to make sure that the blaze had not spread.

No one was at home at the time of the fire, but the occupants were advised. The home is insured and the damage was estimated at $10,000, according to the Fire Department.