The Hawaii County Planning Department has several road projects starting soon, officials said.
On Saturday, the department’s Traffic Division will replace the traffic signal control cabinet and install remote monitoring and video equipment at the Henry Street and Malulani Drive intersection. Work will take place between 9 a.m. and 2 p.m. Special off-duty police officers will direct traffic to minimize interruptions.
This upgrade will synchronize with two traffic signals on Henry Street to remotely monitor and improve traffic flow.
Work on Kaiminani Drive is expected to begin this fall. This federally funded project begins 103 feet from the intersection with Highway 190 and ends at Ahiahi Street, officials said.
Jas W. Glover Ltd. was awarded the $10 million improvement project. The Federal Highway Administration is paying 80 percent of the construction cost, with Hawaii County picking up the remaining 20 percent. Improvements will focus on roadway reconstruction, and drainage improvements that include six-foot shoulders, tie-ins to private driveways on Kaiminani, retaining walls, and restriping of the roadway. Construction is anticipated to be completed in 2013.