A 56-year-old man has died following an industrial accident Thursday morning in Puna.
The man had apparently been inspecting an electrical system for a newly installed water tank near North Kulani Road in Mountain View when he apparently was electrocuted by the energized system around 9:14 a.m., according to the Hawaii Police Department.
A 51-year-old Honokaa man, who was working nearby, attempted to assist the victim, according to police. He was able to de-energize the electrical system, but not before suffering minor injuries from exposure to an electrical current.
The victim was taken to Hilo Medical Center, where he was pronounced dead at 10:32 a.m., according to police. His identity is being withheld pending positive identification and notification of the next of kin.
Detectives from the Area I Criminal Investigations Section are conducting further investigation into this incident, which is classified as an industrial accident and a coroner’s inquest.
An autopsy is scheduled for this morning to determine the exact cause of death, according to police.