Sunday | October 22, 2017
About Us | Contact | Subscribe

Fumes at S. Kohala home send 2 to hospital

Two people fell unconscious Sunday after apparently inhaling fumes from a malfunctioning swimming pool heater, according to the Hawaii County Fire Department.

The incident occurred at a two-story South Kohala luxury residential home with a pool fronting the living room. Responding to the 11:09 a.m. call, rescuers discovered two unresponsive people and transported them to the hospital.

Further investigation by the Fire Department’s hazardous materials team determined there was a possible mechanical malfunction in the exhaust system to the pool’s heater. The problem was corrected and the residents returned home, fire officials said.