Monday | January 23, 2017
About Us | Contact | Subscribe

Fire destroys Pahoa structure

An unattended candle is believed to have sparked an early Wednesday structure fire that left one person injured in Pahoa.

Responding to the 3:22 a.m. report, firefighters found a 140-square-foot structure engulfed in flames, according to the Hawaii Fire Department. The fire was declared under control at 3:45 a.m. and extinguished about six minutes later.

A 31-year-old woman suffered second-degree burns to her hands when trying to exit the home while three other occupants, a man, woman and toddler escaped uninjured, according to the department. The injured woman was transported in stable condition to Hilo Medical Center for treatment.

The structure was deemed a complete loss and damage was estimated at $20,000, according to the department.