Updated 

Alleged Honaunau shooter makes first court appearance


A judge maintained bail for a 44-year-old Honaunau man Monday morning, while the 52-year-old man he was accused of shooting last week remained in critical condition at Kona Community Hospital.

Monte Moreau appeared in District Court before Judge Andrew Wilson. Wilson granted Deputy Public Defender Wendy DeWeese’s request for a preliminary hearing, which is scheduled for today.

DeWeese argued, unsuccessfully, to have Moreau’s bail lowered from $100,000 to $50,000. Moreau has been charged with attempted second-degree murder.

“He is unemployed and a stay-at-home parent,” DeWeese said. “Fifty thousand would be significant, if he could even afford to post it.”

Deputy Prosecuting Attorney Michael Schlueter argued against the request.

The Hawaii Intake Service Center, which prepared a bail study for Moreau, “makes it clear, it was difficult to contact (Moreau’s) residence,” Schlueter said. “I do understand that he has significant family presence on the mainland. Not so much in Hawaii.”

Moreau was unable to tell the intake employees his landlord’s phone number, Schlueter said, and the phone number Moreau provided for his wife did not work.

Moreau did not speak during the hearing. He remained in police custody Monday morning.

Police arrested Moreau Thursday following an incident at a Honaunau house, in the 83-5300 block of Highway 11, with several residents. According to police, Moreau shot a 52-year-old man in the abdomen.

Police charged Moreau on Saturday. On Friday, detectives searched the home and found a handgun.