About Town | 7-18-14
Aloha Quilters meets Saturday
Aloha Quilters of Kona meets at 9:30 a.m. Saturday in Wallace Hall at Christ Church Episcopal in Kealakekua.
The quilters work in traditional and Hawaiian styles and meet informally on the third Saturday of each month to share old and new ideas and techniques and to promote the art of quilting in the community. Quilters of any skill level are welcome.
For more information, call Eileen at 328-8027 or Lana at 329-3723.
Tutu’s House offering programs
The following programs are offered next week at Tutu’s House in Waimea:
• Charles McCreary, staff attorney with Legal Aid Society of Hawaii, will discuss advance health care directive and durable POA forms from 1 to 2:30 p.m. Monday.
• Parkinson’s Wellness &Support group meets from 3 to 4:30 p.m. Monday. Madeline Sofranac, doctor of physical therapy, with specializations in aquatic therapy and individuals with neurological disorders, conducts the group. Participants should come dressed comfortably. All levels are welcome and encouraged to attend.
• “The Truth about Fats” meets from 5:30 to 6:30 p.m. Tuesday with Lawrence Derbes Jr., longtime vegan and board-certified cardiologist practicing and residing in Waimea. Participants will learn the importance of fats in a diet, how to add good fats to a diet and how to avoid bad fats.
There are no fees for Tutu’s House programs, but tax-deductible donations are welcome. For more information, visit tutushouse.org, or call 885-6777.
Wildfire preparedness workshops slated
Hawaii Wildfire Management Organization, a nonprofit organization based in Waimea, is hosting a series of free community wildfire preparedness workshops in some of the most fire-prone areas of the Big Island. Those who attend will learn about Hawaii’s wildfire issues and how they can mitigate those issues through proper home landscaping techniques and home structure modifications. The following workshops are scheduled from 6 to 7 p.m.:
• Monday, Ocean View Community Center, 92-8924 Leilani Circle.
• Wednesday, Waikoloa Community Association community room, 68-1792 Melia St.
• July 25, Cooper Center, 19-4030 Wright Road, Volcano.
• July 28, Pahala Elementary School, 96-3150 Pikake Place.
• July 29, Thelma Parker Memorial Library, 67-1209 Mamalahoa Highway, Waimea.
• July 31 West Hawaii Civic Center Liquor Control Conference Room, 74-5044 Ane Keohokālole Highway.
• Aug. 4, Konawaena Elementary School, 81-901 Onouli Road, Kealakekua.
• Aug. 6, Hawaii Community College West Hawaii Campus, 81-964 Halekii St., Kealakekua.
These workshops are made possible by The Cooperative Fire Program of the U.S. Forest Service, Department of Agriculture, Pacific Southwest Region.
For more information, contact email@example.com or 885-0900.