The Holualoa Foundation for Arts and Culture is offering the following classes at the Donkey Mill Art Center this month. For more information or to register, visit donkeymillartcenter.org or contact Anne Catlin at 322-3362 or firstname.lastname@example.org. The center is located at 78-6670 Mamalahoa Highway, Holualoa.
• Jan. 23: The Film Club presents “The Marx Brother’s Duck Soup” at 6 p.m. Admission is free, popcorn is served. The club meets to review and discuss thought-provoking and inspiring films. This picture marks the return of Margaret Dumont to the fold for perhaps the most bizarre Marx Brothers film ever made.
• Jan. 24: Life Drawing from 6 to 9 p.m. offers live models posing nude and clothed. Bring own art supplies and a beverage for a relaxed evening of drawing or painting the human form in short and long poses. People of all artistic abilities are welcome. Five reservations are needed to hold the session. Member tuition is $12 per day; nonmember, $15 per day.
• Jan. 25: Beginning Watercolor meets with Wanda McManus from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. Saturdays, Jan. 25 to Feb. 22. Students will meet in various spots around the community to learn basic drawing and painting techniques while creating their own watercolor paintings of the local landscape, flora and fauna. Students will learn to identify the best working materials and how to mix colors and use their paints. They will explore techniques in the drawing and composition of architecture, plants, water, landscapes, light and perspective as well as collage and fish print. Bring sack lunch and art supplies. Member tuition is $195; nonmember is $235.
The center also offers youth after-school programs:
• Jan. 28 to May 6: Keiki Picassos for ages 3 to 5 meets with Dominique Castillo and Braylene Jones from 3:30 to 4:30 p.m. Tuesdays. Session 1 runs Jan. 28 through March 4. Students will combine manmade items with nature to create fun, playful and one-of-a-kind pieces. Students will create pieces to tie in with holidays, including Valentine’s Day and Mardi Gras. In Session 2, from April 1 through May 6, students will create upcycled atriums, paper clip figurines, a Pollock-style wall with cotton ball painting, Easter egg maracas, embroidery thread egg, play dough and more. Fees for each session series are $55 for members, $65 for nonmembers. A combined rate for members is $100 for two sessions.
• Jan. 29 to May 7: Mixed Media Mania for ages 13 to 17 meets with Lindsay Lander from 3:30 to 5:30 p.m. Wednesdays. In Session 1, from Jan. 29 to March 5, students will alter books as canvas for their work as a continuous visual journal. As a continuation of Mixed Media Mania or as a first-time class students in Session 2, from April 2 to May 7, will explore more creative ways to express themselves through collage while creating a personalized handmade sketchbook or journal. A single series is $100 for members; $125 for nonmembers. Combined rate for members is $175 for both sessions
• Jan. 30: Photo 2014 at The Donkey Mill from 6 to 8 p.m. discusses new photography programs being offered at the center. There is no charge to attend. Bring a dish to pass and a camera.
Jan. 31: “The Immigrants Table: Literary Feast and Performance” meets with Mary Lou Sanelli from 6 to 8 p.m. for an Italian themed potluck. Bring an Italian dish or bottle of wine. Sanelli presents a story of immigration, cultural adjustment and weaving Old and New Worlds. Admission is $15 for members, $20 for nonmembers; children 12 years and younger are free.