Marie continues to weaken
National Hurricane Center forecasters say Marie has been downgraded to a post-tropical cyclone.
At 11 p.m. Hawaii time on Thursday, Marie was packing maximum sustained winds of 40 mph and was moving toward the northwest at 14 mph, forecasters said. Tropical storm-force winds continue extend outward up to 125 miles from the center of Marie.
Surf from the 13th named storm of the Eastern Pacific hurricane season continues to affect portions of the south-central and southwestern coast of Mexico and Southern California coasts. The swells generated by the storm will likely cause life-threatening surf and rip currents along affected coasts through at least Friday.
Forecasters expect Marie to gradually weaken during the next 48 hours as the tropical storm moves over cooler water. Marie should be downgraded to a remnant low by Thursday night.
National Hurricane Center officials in May predicted 14 to 20 named storms and seven to 11 hurricanes — including three to six major hurricanes — to form this year in the Eastern Pacific Basin. Overall, they gave the 2014 season a 50 percent chance of being above normal, 40 percent chance of being near-normal and a 10 percent chance of being below normal.
The Eastern Pacific averages 15 named storms, eight hurricanes and four major hurricanes each year, according to the center.
The Eastern Pacific hurricane season began May 15 and ends Nov. 30.
More hurricane-related content here.
Rules for posting comments
Comments posted below are from readers. In no way do they represent the view of Stephens Media LLC or this newspaper. This is a public forum.
Comments may be monitored for inappropriate content but the newspaper is under no obligation to do so. Comment posters are solely responsible under the Communications Decency Act for comments posted on this Web site. Stephens Media LLC is not liable for messages from third parties.
IP and email addresses of persons who post are not treated as confidential records and will be disclosed in response to valid legal process.
Do not post:
- Potentially libelous statements or damaging innuendo.
- Obscene, explicit, or racist language.
- Copyrighted materials of any sort without the express permission of the copyright holder.
- Personal attacks, insults or threats.
- The use of another person's real name to disguise your identity.
- Comments unrelated to the story.
If you believe that a commenter has not followed these guidelines, please click the FLAG icon below the comment.