The state Department of Land and Natural Resources on Wednesday will begin construction at Keauhou Small Boat Harbor on repairs to the last remaining areas damaged by the March 2011 tsunami that hit Hawaii Island.
Construction is scheduled through Jan. 7. Project contractor is Drayko Construction Inc. The total cost of this project is $428,000, according to DLNR.
As follows are the proposed dates and affected areas of the harbor. Dates are subject to change due to weather or other factors, DLNR stated.
Boat Launch Ramp and Wash Down Area work to be done:
- Wednesday to Oct. 31: Contractor to remove existing asphalt pavement/install new concrete pavement and drainage improvements on mauka side of boat launch ramp and wash down area. During this time the trailer parking next to the boat ramp and the boat wash down area will be closed. Both lanes of the boat ramp will remain open.
- Oct. 6 to Dec. 3: Repairs to the rock revetment, loading dock, fenders and cleats on the left hand side of the boat ramp; and removal of existing asphalt paving and installation of new concrete pavement fronting the left hand side of the boat ramp. The left hand lane of the boat ramp will be closed. The right hand lane of the boat ramp will remain open.
- Dec. 4 to Jan. 2: Removal of existing asphalt paving and installation of new concrete pavement fronting right hand side of boat ramp. The right hand side of the boat ramp will be closed. The left hand lane of the boat ramp will remain open.
Mauka Parking Area/Bulkhead:
- Nov. 12 to 19: Removal and replacement of existing asphalt paving on mauka parking area/bulkhead (where Fair Winds Cruises and others loads and unloads passengers). Vessels may use the loading pier to load/unload passengers during this time.
- Nov. 24 to 25: Striping at the mauka parking area/bulkhead. Vessels may use the loading pier to load/unload passengers, etc. during this time.