Freedom rings for sea turtles in South Kohala
A handful of sea turtles celebrated their freedom upon their release into the Pacific Ocean for the first time at the Mauna Lani Resort’s 25th annual Turtle Independence Day held Friday in South Kohala.
The event is made possible by the resort’s ongoing partnership with Sea Life Park on Oahu. Since 1989, the park has sent over three-to-five-month-old turtles from its captive breeding program which the resort then raises in ponds around its property until the animals are grown enough to join the wild population.
Rules for posting comments
Comments posted below are from readers. In no way do they represent the view of Stephens Media LLC or this newspaper. This is a public forum.
Comments may be monitored for inappropriate content but the newspaper is under no obligation to do so. Comment posters are solely responsible under the Communications Decency Act for comments posted on this Web site. Stephens Media LLC is not liable for messages from third parties.
IP and email addresses of persons who post are not treated as confidential records and will be disclosed in response to valid legal process.
Do not post:
- Potentially libelous statements or damaging innuendo.
- Obscene, explicit, or racist language.
- Copyrighted materials of any sort without the express permission of the copyright holder.
- Personal attacks, insults or threats.
- The use of another person's real name to disguise your identity.
- Comments unrelated to the story.
If you believe that a commenter has not followed these guidelines, please click the FLAG icon below the comment.