Monday | October 05, 2015
About Us | Contact | Subscribe

Farmers, ranchers asked to report storm damage

August 11, 2014 - 3:26pm

Hawaii farmers and ranchers who sustained storm damage are encouraged to contact their nearest U.S. Department of Agriculture Farm Services Agency to report the damage.

The federal agency is conducting a preliminary damage assessment to determine whether federal assistance and a Secretarial Disaster Declaration are warranted.

Hawaii County’s FSA Service Center Office is located at 154 Waianuenue Ave., Room 322, in Hilo and can be reached via phone to 933-8381, ext. 2, or mail to Federal Building Room 219, PO Box 845, Hilo, HI 96720.

In addition, the Hawaii Department of Agriculture’s Agricultural Loan Division reminds farmers to contact their nearest office if they need emergency loan assistance to help them recover from storm damage and crop losses.

The intent of the state program is to help promote agricultural development of the state by providing credit at reasonable rates and terms to qualifying individuals or entities. Through the establishment of a revolving loan fund, credit is made available by supplementing private lender sector loan funds or by providing direct funding. Considered a “lender of last resort,” the program is not intended to compete with private sector lenders.

Prospective applicants must inquire with and be denied credit from private sector lenders prior to filling an application. In addition, prospective applicants must fulfill applicable eligibility requirements.