The Hawaii Preparatory Academy Middle School Handbell Choir, under the direction of Georgia Polakova, will offer a series of free public performances to welcome the holiday season:
- Friday, November 30, 5:30 p.m., Parker Ranch Tree Lighting at Pu’uopelu
- Sunday, December 2, noon, Food Court at the Parker Ranch Shopping Center
- Saturday, December 8, 9 a.m., Parker School Farmers Market
- Saturday, December 8, 5 p.m., Kings’ Shops, Waikoloa
- Sunday, December 9, 1 p.m., Prince Kuhio Plaza, Hilo
The handbell choir, offered as a Middle School elective, has been part of the HPA Middle School experience for more than 25 years. The choir consists of 14-17 students who play for seven weeks, usually performing after only four weeks of rehearsal.
“What I like best about the handbell choir is the group dynamics that must happen to have a successful performing handbell choir,” said Polakova. “The members must be positive and supportive of their fellow handbell players. There must be unity among the group or the music just doesn’t come together. It’s quite exciting to see the students’ faces when they realize they can contribute to the group and bring forth beautiful music.”
The Middle School Handbell Choir’s first CD, A Ka Makani Christmas, is available for $10 at all HPA Handbell Choir performances, at the HPA Bookstore, HPA Village Campus office, Isaacs Art Center, and online at www.hpa.edu. All proceeds benefit the HPA Middle School Handbell Choir.
For more information about the group’s holiday performances, call 808-885-2500 or 808-885-2501.